Warren's Hall Park includes the sites of a number of old
collieries and pit mounds. Cobb's Engine House, built in the 1820's,
contained a Watt engine to drain Windmill End Colliery and other local
mines and was operational until around 1928.
The loss of surrounding collieries during the General
Strike of 1926 led to the breakdown of the mine drainage schemes and
as the coal seams flooded other mine closures followed.